An honorable place in the garden is set aside for plum. This delicious delicacy is also a very useful product that improves the work of the stomach and normalizes blood pressure. But if there is enough space on the plot only for one tree, then you need to choose a self-fertile variety. Self-fertile varieties of plums give great harvests even if pollinating trees do not grow nearby. They are capable of self-pollination and this is their main advantage. But these varieties are not many. This article presents only the best varieties of self-propelled plums of different types.
Features self-produced varieties of plums
Self-fertile varieties bear no pollinators
Self-fertile plums are often grown in small gardens, in small plots and garden land. They occupy as much space as other species, but can be grown separately, because pollinators are not required for them and this is their most important advantage.Interesting! Despite the fact that the self-fertile varieties bear fruit without pollinators, their cross-pollination yields many times more!
Mostly all self-fruited plums produce a harvest for table use - sugar fruits suitable for fresh consumption or processing for the winter. But in order for the tree to bear fruit without problems, every year, and the harvest would be of high quality, you need to be able to choose the right variety, because there are not that many really good, self-contained plums.
The best sorts of fruit plumsRead also these articles.
- Anemone flower
- Variety of potatoes Skarb
- Cultivar Alligator
- How to choose and prepare seed potatoes for planting
To understand which varieties of plums of the self-fertile type are the best, you can examine their description. In this case, this category includes varieties with the most abundant yield, tasty and presentable plums.
The best sorts of fruit plums
- "The president" - Old English variety. Plums ripen by mid-September. The tree grows tall, with a domed crown. Plums 50-60 g, ovoid with burgundy peel and bluish bloom. The flesh is dense, yellow in color, even after aging, the drupe goes away easily. The taste is estimated at 4.5 points. Known for resistance to the ball and other diseases, winter hardiness. Transportable, presentable, versatile.
- "Yo-yo" - variety comes from Germany. Aging occurs at the end of summer or the first days of autumn. The tree grows within 5 meters, a crown in the shape of a ball. The fruits are large, 45-60 g, ovate. The peel is dark purple, but due to the gray bloom of cream looks blue. The pulp is dense, with a high content of juice. The taste is estimated to be 4.5 points out of 5. The bruise moves away from the pulp without any problems, so the fruit is easy to process. There is immunity to sharq, high winter resistance.
- "Anna Shpet" - This is one of the popular self-fertile varieties of plums. Launched in Germany. The tree grows to 4.5 meters. Crohn thickened, spherical. Leaflets grow small. Inflorescences are white, in the form of bells. Plums 40-50 g, similar in shape to a wide egg. The peel is dark purple, thin with a dense patina. The flesh is yellowish, sweet and sour. Drupe just leaves. Productivity is high, fructification is accounted for 3 years after planting.
- "Stanley" - Late variety of Hungarian. This is a famous American species that ripens in early autumn. The trees are medium in height, the crown is not thick, needs regular pruning. Productivity is plentiful. Fruits grow large, weighing about 50 g, oval. The peel is purple, the patina is blue. The pulp is dense, juicy. The taste is estimated at 4.6 points. Drupe in 50% of cases goes without problems. The variety stands out for its winter hardiness and immunity to many diseases, including sharqa.
Self-fertile varieties of plums for the Moscow region
Self-fertile varieties of plums for the Moscow region
For the Moscow region, it is worth choosing those plum varieties that can withstand abrupt changes in the weather, frequent rains, and rather cold winters.
- "In memory of Timiryazev" fruits from 4 years. The tree grows up to 3 meters. Productivity to 35 kg / tree. Fruit ripening occurs around the last days of summer. Plums grow on 30 g, yellow color, with a scarlet flush. Taste is sweet and sour, fruits of universal appointment.
- "Yellow self-fertile" grows up to 4 meters high. Crohn lush, sprawling. Fruiting occurs in 3-4 years, in mid-August. Yellow plums, weighing 20-30 g each, with a bright aroma and a simple taste. The rind is elastic with a slight touch. Differs in transportability, frost resistance, drought resistance. The average yield of 10 kg / tree.
- "Hungarian Pulkovo" grows to 4-5 meters. The crown is wide, spherical. It blooms from mid-May. Maturation has been observed since September. Plums are oval, weighing 20-25 g. The peel is dark red, with brown dots. The raid is dense, gray. The flesh is yellowish, with a high content of juice, sweet and sour. The use is universal. Productivity about 15-20 kg / tree. Winter hardiness is high, the aphids are almost not attacked.
If we talk about the cold regions of Russia, such as the Urals, then there will be a good growth in the plum "Yellow self-bearing", "Orlovskaya dream". Residents of Siberia should give preference to such varieties as "Xenia", "Red Ball" and the same "Orlovskoy dream." But it should be borne in mind that in cold areas, self-fruiting varieties of plums produce small yields. In order to get more fruits, it is worthwhile to arrange cross-pollination.
Undersized self-produced plumsWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Varieties of cucumbers for the Urals
- How to store garlic in the winter in the apartment
- Breed Shaver Brown
- Milking machine for cows
Undersized self-produced plums
Low-growing plums take up less space on the site than simple, tall ones. Another advantage of them is easy to harvest. But there are not many such plums, especially if the tree should also be self-bearing.
- "Skoroplodna" plum come from China. It grows up to 2.5 meters, the crown is rounded, not thick. Leaflets are light green, small, glossy. Flowering is very early. Fruits weigh 30 g on average. The rind is dense, tasteless, from orange to red. The flesh is yellow, with a high content of juice, not very dense, but does not fall apart when canning in pieces. The taste is a bit like a melon, sweet and slightly sour.
- "Red Ball" - variety obtained in China. This tree is very compact, small in size, growing to a maximum of 2.5 meters, but less often. The crown consists of spreading branches that need regular pruning. Leaves appear after flowering. The first flowers appear on the tree in early spring. They are snow-white, small in size. The fruits are on average 35-40 g. The rind is red, dense, but thin, with a bluish bloom. The flesh is juicy and light. Drugs are not far behind the flesh, so it is not well suited for processing.
- "Oryol dream" variety created on the basis of plum Annushka. The tree grows up to 2.5 meters in height. The crown is not very thick, spreading, needs to be formed. Flowering is observed from May, and fruiting from the first days of August. Plums 40 g on average. The peel is red with a touch. The flesh is juicy, sweet, yellow. The main advantages include winter hardiness and yield.
Short varieties of plums are in great demand among gardeners. They are profitable to plant in small areas for personal use, not sales. They give a crop not so much, but it is enough for home preservation. The main thing is to choose the right variety so that the tree brings the maximum benefit and does not require heavy care.