Toulouse geese - the most famous and widespread species in the world, originally from France. The breed gets on well in the yard, provides the breeder with high-quality, tasty meat in abundance and at the same time is beneficial in terms of content. It has a record body weight, beneficial for maintenance. The article will describe in detail the qualitative characteristics of the Toulouse geese and the characteristics of their breeding.
How did the breed appear?
Breeds were engaged in breeding from the city of Toulouse (France). To obtain a new species, the well-known Gray Geese with low productivity indices were used.
The process itself took more than one year. The fact is that the breed is derived purely from the Gray Geese, without admixture of other blood. Breeders simply selected the best individuals with high productivity and crossed with each other. Today, the Toulouse geese are a true breed of heavyweight compared to other species.
Today, the Toulouse geese are a true breed of heavyweight compared to other species.
After breeding, already in the first years, the breed "flooded" all of France, and when rumors about a unique form went outside the country, they began to actively import it into Italy, Spain, England and other strange countries of Europe. Soon the Toulouse geese also conquered part of Asia and America. It is in the USA that the largest center for the breeding and improvement of the Toulouse geese is now located.
Interesting!In the US, the Toulouse geese are so widespread in part because of Christmas. On this holiday of geese, it is this huge species that Americans are buying for Christmas Eve.
Breed Description and Characteristics of the Toulouse GeeseRead also these articles.
- Cabbage variety Sugar Loaf
- Caramel raspberry variety
- Breed of pigs Landras
- Saphira pear-shaped pear variety
The geese of the Toulouse breed have a massive, squat body. The backbone is strong. All parts of the body are harmonious. The back is straight as well as wide, as is the chest. Legs strong, large and short, orange color. The neck is not very long, but rather thick. The head is wide and short, the beak is of medium length, orange and straight.
Very sluggish, due to high weight
Little goslings are born with a light gray down. With age, the color becomes more saturated, so that adults have dark gray feathers with white tips. A white feather may be present on the belly or in the area of the tail.
The character is simple, malleable. They know how to stand up for themselves, but for no reason they do not make noise. Very slow, because of the large mass of the body.
Varieties of Toulouse Geese
There are many hybrids of Toulouse geese. Different individuals may differ in saturation of feathers and additional features in the structure of the body. For example:
- geese with a fold sagging from the belly to the ground, which makes them even lower than they really are.
- individuals of gray or brown color;
- A “purse” under its beak can be almost invisible, sag a couple of centimeters or be quite large.
There are many hybrids of Toulouse geese
If you look at the last difference of modern Toulouse geese, then individuals usually simply divide it into purse and bezselselkov. The first heavier, early ripening and recommended for a large farm. For private farms, bezkolselkovye individuals are usually chosen because they multiply quickly and without problems.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the breed?We recommend reading our other articles.
- What to instill in sweet cherry
- Guinea fowl breed
- Mandarin Duck
- The best red varieties of apples with a description and photo
The breed is very famous, it is often bred on large and small farms, private farmsteads. What is the reason for such high demand?
- The main reason is weight. Toulouse geese weigh a lot, and this can not fail to attract the attention of breeders, because the main goal of breeding is to get plenty of tasty and nutritious meat. The geese can weigh 7–9 kg, and the gander more than 11 kg!
- With each individual, you can get excellent liver up to 500 g with enhanced feeding. It is often allowed to make delicious pastes.
- Precocity. This quality is primarily inherent in geese with "wallets". Individuals that are 2 months old already weigh up to 4 kg, and at the same time they are slaughtered, since with age the fat content of meat increases greatly.
- Egg production - 30-40 eggs per year. It is not very small, and yet breed eggs are highly valued. Eggs weigh up to 180-200 g.
- Down and feather are suitable for sale.
The geese can weigh 7–9 kg, and the gander more than 11 kg!
What about the flaws? What can we expect a breeder who breeds Toulouse geese?
- The breed needs a balanced and regular feeding.
- Bad weather, cold, dampness, heat quickly affect the health of geese of this species.
- Have a weak maternal instinct.
- Hatching eggs about 50%.
- The safety of young individuals is not more than 60%. So it is worth paying to individuals up to 2 months a lot of attention.
What are the features of the content?
Proper maintenance can allow the breeder to grow Toulouse geese without any problems and get a lot of tasty and high-quality meat from them.
- Birds should be kept in a spacious room - a goose. One square meter accounts for about 1 goose each. The temperature in the room should be at least +20 degrees all year round. Dampness and drafts are excluded to the maximum.
- Walking should be done spacious. Geese of this breed are not very active, but they don’t like to crowd too. At the same time, they can be taken for walks only during the warm season. In winter, it is better not to let them in the open air.
It is recommended to propagate the breed only through an incubator or use it to incubate geese of other breeds.
- It is recommended to propagate the breed only by means of an incubator, or it can be used to incubate geese of other breeds. Individuals do not give a lot of eggs, so you should not risk and put them under the Toulouse goose. They are bad mothers, eggs can be left for a long time, and the young are not particularly engaged.
- The room should be comfortable perches, nests, feeders and drinkers, as well as a basin with sand and ash. In it geese will clean the down and feathers from dirt and parasites.
- Cleaning is carried out as needed. It is necessary to ensure that the litter was not wet.
How to feed the Toulouse geese?
The main disadvantage of the Toulouse breed of geese of the purse subspecies is that individuals are not able to independently produce food on the run. They can be brought out into the street, they will walk on the grass, but only in rare cases will it be tweaked. That is why birds need throughout the year to provide high-quality food (cheap food contains few vitamins).
Toulouse geese should eat at least 2 times a day. But better 3-4 times
Bezkoshelkovye individuals can eat grass on their own and even gain weight well only by grazing. And yet they also need normal food, if only because it has a lot of useful substances.
Important! Toulouse geese quickly accumulate mass and practically do not lose it, since they move very little. Therefore, you can not overfeed them, because you can eventually get too fat carcass.
Toulouse geese should eat at least 2 times a day. But it is better 3-4 times. In the diet should be present: corn, feed, wheat, herbs, worms, mash of root vegetables. In the drinking bowl always must be clean and fresh water. If you need to give vitamins, it is better to mix them in food, and not in water.