Top dressing strawberries in the autumn is just as important as removing extra mustache or updating the site. Indeed, without a fertilizer, a plant may not survive the winter at all. Autumn strawberry feeding has a multi-level effect on the plant and the soil, so you should not forget about it. The article below provides answers to the most popular questions of gardeners about autumn strawberry feeding.
Why feed strawberries in the fall?
Let the garden season and come to an end, but before you begin the winter rest is to engage in a thorough feeding of any varieties of strawberries. Strawberries themselves are not frost-resistant, they can not survive frosts of more than -20 degrees, which is why they always mulch them for winter, and in winter they throw a lot of snow on the beds. If you do not, it will freeze.
But where does the feeding? Top dressing of strawberries in the autumn improves the soil composition, makes it more friable, nutritious, "comfortable" for the roots of the crop. Fertilizers allow plants to recover faster after fruiting, and also increase resistance to diseases, pests. But more importantly - fertilized strawberries more resistant to frost. Even if there is little snow, the chance that it will freeze out at -25 degrees is extremely small!
Fertilized strawberries more resistant to frost
So it is highly recommended to feed strawberries in the fall, especially if the bushes were sick in the summer or the fruit was very high.
When is it best to feed strawberries in autumn?Read also these articles.
- Violet flower
- The best varieties of early cabbage
- Chickens breed Maran - description and productivity
- The best varieties of peas
Top dressing of strawberries in the fall always falls on the period when the crop is already harvested and the plant is preparing for a period of rest. If the bushes still bear fruit, fertilizing should be postponed until it ends. The reason is that the autumn dressing is not intended to increase the yield or quality of fruits, but to strengthen the protective mechanisms of the plant (to improve frost resistance, resistance to aggressive environment). In addition, the bushes after fruiting weakened, and fertilizer - the easiest, fastest and most effective method of their recovery.
It is precisely because strawberries finish fruiting at different times, it is difficult to name the exact period of fertilization. This may be September, October or November, and maybe all three months at once, because in the fall you can first feed liquid fertilizer in early September. Then, at the end of September, spray strawberry leaves with infusion of wood ash, and in the middle of November, pour organic mulch or mineral fertilizer on the garden bed and mix them when digging the row spacing with the ground.
So you should focus on your own capabilities, the needs of the land and strawberries. If the bushes are in poor condition, it is worth making at least two dressings for the fall. If in the normal - you can limit the introduction of dry matter before the winter.
Before you start feeding strawberries in the fall, you need to carry out several preparatory procedures.
Pruning strawberry bushes
- First, the bed is inspected, all the mustaches that let bushes, if not needed - are removed.
- Cut from the bushes is necessary and bad leaves. These include pest-damaged leaflets, patients, those that simply have dried or almost completely dried. Only the greenest, the most beautiful are left.
- Now all the weeds are removed. There is no use for them - only the sap from the ground is pulled, especially if it is perennial weeds.
How to use fertilizer?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Aphids on cucumbers
- Tomato variety Eagle beak
- Fish meal for chickens and animals
- The best varieties of cherry tomatoes with a description and photo
As soon as the bed is cleared, autumn strawberry feeding is carried out. The method of feeding depends on the form in which the fertilizer is used. So, for example, they simply pour water over the beds, so that the product does not fall on the strawberries.
Important! Top dressing of strawberries in the fall with any liquid fertilizers is carried out only until the end of September. Later their use can cause the death of strawberry roots during frosts.
However, in the fall, for the most part, it is granulated fertilizer or dry fertilizer that is used — it is more beneficial because it is considered to be long-playing. Dry and granulated mixtures are always brought under the digging. The reason is that there are many volatile substances in them. If the ground is not dig, they just evaporate and do not bring benefits. For starters, minerals or organic fertilizer is scattered around the bed, between the strawberries in the right amount, and then the soil is loosened with a sap. As loosening fertilizer penetrates the soil.
Feed strawberries in the fall of any liquid fertilizer is carried out only until the end of September
Foliar nutrition in the fall is rarely carried out, but they can be very useful for strawberries. Approximately in September, when the temperature is rapidly falling, the plants weaken and in order to survive, they begin to pull the juices and nutrients from the leaves. Because the strawberry in the fall (its leaves) can quickly turn yellow and dry. And because it does not interfere with foliar application. It is carried out by the most primitive method - from a spray bottle into which nourishing dressing is poured.
Organic strawberry fertilizer
Feeding strawberries in the fall with organic fertilizer is preferred. These fertilizers can be used as infusions or in dry form, while the gardener knows for sure that the substance will not harm the plant and its fruits for the next year.
- Wood ash can be used as a dry remedy - it is scattered on the ground (150 g / m2 of land). The second option is to make an infusion of ash and spray strawberries. For infusion, pour 2 cups of ash with a liter of boiling water. This mixture should be boiled for 15 minutes on low heat, then cool. Before use it is mixed with 10 liters of water.
- Biohumus for autumn feeding strawberries used in liquid form. It is bought in the store. Diluted according to the instructions (to reduce the concentration) and used for its intended purpose. Water is usually the land. On the leaves of the substance should not fall.
- Chicken droppings can harm or help increase yields. For 1 part of the litter (granulated or dry) 10 liters of water are taken. The mixture is infused and after 2 days it is poured over the rows. The tool should not get on the strawberry itself, otherwise it will burn.
Mowed grass and sedirat is a kind of mulch
- Humus can be diluted with water and water the beds or use clean. In the case of an infusion, 10 parts of water are taken for 1 part of humus; after 2 days the mixture is used for irrigation. But most often gardeners use it by another method - they just scatter strawberries between the rows and bushes, and then loosen the earth or leave it as mulch.
- Lupine stalks or mowed grass are crushed, you can take the bean siderat instead. After that, they are placed between the rows of strawberries and sprinkled on top of the ground. As far as rotting, they will secrete useful microelements, and will feed the earth, strawberries. But, besides, it is a kind of mulch, which will be an excellent weatherization of strawberries for the winter.
Mineral autumn dressing
Potassium and phosphorus are the two most basic fertilizers that are needed for the earth and strawberries in the fall. Top dressing of strawberries in the fall is carried out by mixes in which there is an abundance of potassium and phosphorus, and potassium should be more. As for nitrogen, it can be up to 5% or less.
- 20 g of potassium salt and 10 g of superphosphate in granules or any other form is dissolved in 12 liters of water. This composition should be poured between the strawberry rows.
- 20 g of potassium salt is mixed with 30 g of nitrophoska, and then dissolved in 10 liters of warm water. The resulting mixture is watered beds between bushes.
- "Kemira Autumn" is one of the few types of mineral fertilizers, about which almost all gardeners respond positively. About 50 g of the substance is taken per square meter of bed. It is simply scattered on the ground, and then weeding is carried out in order to be embedded in the ground.
About 50 g of "Kemira Autumn" are taken per square meter of bed
Important! When using "Kemira Autumn" or any other fertilizer for autumn strawberry feeding, do not allow the substance to enter the outlet of the plant, otherwise it will die in a few days.
Top dressing of strawberries in the fall with mixed fertilizers is quite popular, as it acts for a very long time after it is applied to the ground. You can use 250 grams of ash, 30 grams of nitrophoska and 20 grams of potassium chloride. All three components need to be mixed with 10 liters of water and pour over strawberries. On one bush apply per liter of substance.
Dry mixed fertilizers are usually made also from humus, superphosphate and potassium substances. The ratio depends on the type of land, average values for normal soil of average friability: 2.5 kg of humus, 20 g of superphosphate and 10 g of potash fertilizer per square meter of land.
Important! The application rates of organic, mineral and mixed feedings may vary depending on the type and quality of the land, as well as the variety of strawberries.
How to feed strawberries during the autumn planting?
Before planting strawberries in the fall, the land is usually fertilized to increase its nutritional value. But not all fertilizers are suitable for this. Below are the substances that are recommended by gardeners and the most effective.
Fertilizers are not made before spring, but you can and even need to mulch
- Biohumus in dry form is introduced into the ground before planting strawberries, dug up along with the ground and left for 1-2 weeks and only after that you can start planting the culture.
- On 1 square. meter plot is taken 3 kg of compost or humus, 35 g of superphosphate and 10 g of potassium chloride. This mixture is very nutritious, but also long-playing. The seedlings in such a land quickly take root, and the land becomes so good that many gardeners do not feed strawberries at all the next year, except with nitrogenous substances, and even if there is a need. This mixture is used for annual autumn strawberry feeding, but in lower concentration, since more nutrients are needed for planting.
Feeding strawberries in the fall, if the plant was planted a couple of months ago, is not carried out - this makes no sense. Fertilizers are not made before spring, but it is possible and even necessary to mulch a bed with peat, compost, straw or sawdust to protect young saplings from severe winter frosts.