Gooseberry is an interesting berry that can be eaten fresh, made into canned foods, and desserts. It is widely distributed throughout the world, as it is not only easy to grow, but also useful for the body. Gooseberry Russian yellow deserves a closer look, as it has very attractive characteristics for each gardener.
How did the view appear?
Received in the early 70s of the 20th century by K. Sergeeva on the basis of the Michurin Research Institute of Horticulture. To obtain a new type of scientists have applied the method of clone selection. Parent material for this was taken from such gooseberry species as Oregon, Stambovy, Curry, and Careless. From all these "ancestors" Russian yellow and received their best qualities. Therefore, it is quite suitable for cultivation in the frosty and hot regions of Russia, as well as in neighboring countries with similar climatic conditions.
Description varieties Russian yellowRead also these articles.
- How to water the seedlings
- Rabbits Poltava silver
- How to water grapes
- Chicken droppings as fertilizer
Description varieties Russian yellow
Gooseberry Russian yellow has a medium-shrub shrub that grows a little over 1 meter. Sprawling branches, medium density, spike small. The variety is mid-season, grown for industrial purposes and in small private plots of land. The leaves are bright green, not very large, have a weak wax coating, without pubescence, inflorescences are pale.
The berries are oval, large, the weight of each can reach 6-7 grams. The color is amber when fully ripe, and before that it is usually light green. The peel is transparent, not very thick, the veins are clearly visible, covered on top with a thin coating. There are few seeds that have a positive effect on the taste of the fruit.
The berries are sweet and sour, the aftertaste is pleasant, not tart. A tasting score of 4.6 out of 5. The composition has 12-32 mg of ascorbic acid per 100 grams of berries. The titrated acidity is 2%, the total share of sugars is 9.3%.
What is the advantage of Russian yellow gooseberry?
Productivity - 5 kg of fruits from one bush
What can please gardeners gooseberry varieties Russian yellow?
- Even after full ripening, the berries can be stored on the branches for a long time and not fall off.
- Productivity - 5 kg of fruits from one bush.
- Winter hardiness and drought resistance are excellent, the plant is not afraid of severe winters (up to -28 degrees) and the lack of frequent watering.
- He has a good immunity, and is weakly affected by diseases.
- Transportability is excellent. Due to the average density of the peel, the berries can be easily transported over long distances, especially if you remove them from the branches 1-2 days ahead of schedule.
- Besides the fact that the fruits are transportable, they also have a very attractive presentation for almost a week of the collection field. This greatly simplifies the marketing of products.
- The period of fruiting of this variety reaches 10 years and only then its yield decreases.
- Self-fertile, does not need additional pollinators.
Among the drawbacks can be noted only the spreading of the bush, which is most pronounced during the fruiting period, when under the weight of the berries the pagans literally fall to the ground. To save them and protect the berries should build special props or just tie up a bush.
How to plant gooseberries?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Feeding cabbage seedlings
- The best varieties of black currant
- How to water the watermelons
- Varieties of white cabbage
Gooseberry Russian yellow prefers sunny areas
The gooseberry planting time is always at the end of September and lasts until the beginning of October, while the temperature is still acceptable for rooting. If the gardener did not have time to plant a bush, it can be done also in spring, but only early, before the process of juice movement begins in the pagons.
Gooseberry Russian yellow prefers sunny areas, you can plant it along the fence, but only transparent, for example, from the netting of the chain-link, as the stone wall completely obscures the plant. Excessive moisture can not tolerate, so that the marshy and lowland areas are not recommended, but the plain or elevation is even suitable.
Planting bushes in prepared pits at a distance of 2 meters from each other. Pits should have a depth of 40 to 70 cm, depending on the type of land and the size of the root. If the soil is poorly drained, the pit should be about 70 cm deep so that good drainage can be laid on 20 cm of them (sand, expanded clay, crushed brick, gravel, crushed stone).
From the soil obtained by digging a hole, a fertile soil is made by mixing it in equal proportion with peat. Now the mixture is poured on a bottom with a small layer, a sapling is placed and powdered with the mixture. Strongly deepen the bush is not necessary. On top of the final layer of the earth, mulching can be done on 7-10 cm, and then watering.
How to care for gooseberries?
Gooseberry variety Russian yellow is not only healthy, but also very tasty. So the gardener's work pays off in full. Even if the household does not like the berry, it is very easy to sell it on the market, since there are a lot of people willing to eat it. Caring for gooseberries does not take much time, but it is obligatory:
Pruning of excess branches takes place every year.
- The first time after planting, you can spud shrubs in the root zone. This will avoid the occurrence of certain diseases and pests.
- Watering needs regular. The exact amount is difficult to calculate, because it all depends on the age of the bush, soil, groundwater level, climate, and the like. In any case, the land should never be dried out.
- Also, the soil should not be crushed and cracked, so immediately after watering it is worthwhile to loosen it a little with sap. But neatly - the branches can prevent to get to the base of the bush, and when processing the "blind" it is easy to damage the roots. Weeding is carried out along with weeding.
- If the bush is too sprawling, you should tie it up. But there are a few nuances. The fact is that if it is strongly tightened, the leaves will shade the berries, and they will ripen for a long time.
Gooseberry reproduction by layering
- Pruning of excess branches is carried out every year. At the same time it is important to remove not only unnecessary, but also old branches. They just take up space, pull forces from the bush, but do not bring benefit to the plant or the gardener.
- Every autumn, preventive treatment of the bushes with insecticides and fungicides of complex action or by effective folk methods is done.
- Once in 4 years, you can make in the autumn to the ground at the base of the bush humus.
The resulting crop of gooseberry Russian yellow is used in different ways: consumed fresh, make desserts, add to baked goods, prepare canned food for the winter, or simply sell in the market. This variety is really very tasty, healthy and even kids like it.