Recently bred Chocolate Chocolate in a short period of time has become popular among gardeners from different countries. Where does this hype come from? Everything is simple - it is a really good variety of cherries, which gives regular yields, is easy to maintain, and is also an ornament to any garden.
Description of the variety Chocolate
The Chocolate Cherry variety was bred by the All-Russian Research Institute by crossing the Lyubskaya and Consumer Black varieties. It is recommended for cultivation in regions with a temperate climate.
Description of Cherry Chocolate
Shokoladnitsa grows a low tree to 2.5 meters. Crohn compact, raised, not thick, which, however, does not affect the fertility of the variety. Yields from the fourth year of life.
Fruits have a maroon color, when oversweeping can acquire an almost black tint. Cherries are wide, rounded, small - 3.5-4 grams each. The flesh is dark red with pronounced veins, very juicy, sweet and sour, the tasting score is 4.2-4.3 points out of a possible 5. The stone is round, separated from the pulp without problems, weighing up to 0.28 grams.
The composition of the fruit 12.4% of sugars, 1.64% acids and 18.4% of dry substances.
What are the advantages of the variety?Read also these articles.
- Astilbe flower
- Veles grape variety
- Potato variety Sineglazka
- Breed Shaver Brown
There are many advantages of the Chocolate variety, so it is quite natural that gardeners love this species so much.
Average yield of 10-12 kg per tree
- Winter hardiness Of all the winter-hardy varieties of cherry, it is the most common. Chocolate is not only able to withstand the winter frosts, but her kidneys are also not afraid of late spring cooling.
- Resistance to drought allows planting trees in the southern regions where aridity can be observed from the beginning of spring.
- Self-fertile, does not need planting pollinators.
- It blooms from mid-May, and the crop yields closer to mid-June - medium early.
- The average yield of 77.9 kg / ha or 10-12 kg per tree.
In fact, there is only one drawback in Chocolatnits - instability to diseases and pests. From year to year to make the tree enjoy an abundance of harvest, beautiful berries, it is necessary to treat it with fungicides and insecticides in time. As a preventive measure, complex means or traditional methods are always used.
How to choose a place for planting cherries?
Chocolate Cherry grows best of all in a warm climate, in any case, it must be very warm during the growth and development season, it needs an abundance of sunlight, so it is necessary to locate it on the site from the south side.
The place for planting cherries should be warm, it needs an abundance of sunlight.
The soil is preferably weakly acidic or neutral, nutritious, grows well in light sandy sand. Groundwater must be deep, otherwise the root will be susceptible to fungal diseases.
What are the features of landing?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Description of the gooseberry variety Malachite
- Strawberry Festival
- Potato cultivar Zekura
- How to feed guinea fowl at home
The pit for the chocolate plant's chocolate seedling is dug out with a diameter of 80 cm and a depth of 40 cm. If the ground is heavy, the drainage qualities are bad, the hole should be dug about 10-20 cm deeper. These 10-20 cm must be filled with drainage (crushed stone, expanded clay, gravel) to protect the roots of the tree from the possible stagnation of moisture.
The sequence of planting varieties of chocolate Shokoladnitsa
Immediately after digging a hole, a peg is driven into the ground. Then the top layer of the earth is poured on the bottom, which was removed during the digging of the pit. Spread it with a slide and set the tree on top so that the root neck "looked out" from the ground for 3-5 cm. It is necessary to make sure that the roots are straightened on all sides of the pit, and not on one. The second important point is the location of the tree, it should be strictly vertical, without significant bias.
Now it is possible to gradually sprinkle Chokoladnitsa sapling with fertile soil (peat, soil, compost) roots from all sides. It is best to do this in three layers, each of which is rammed with hands or feet (only gently, so as not to harm the roots).
After planting, the tree is watered, tied to a peg. It should immediately pay attention to the top of the tree. If she has withered, she can be cut to a living tissue no more than 1/3 of the length. In this case, recovery and rooting will be much faster.
How to care for sapling and adult tree?
It is necessary to care for Chocoladnitsa cherries from the first year after planting. Caring for a tree is not difficult, but systematic. From year to year you need to carry out the same procedures, without which the culture can not survive.
It is necessary to care for Chocolate Chocolate varieties from the first year after planting.
- To plant another type of cherry or the same should be no less than 2.5 meters from the tree.
- Watering is necessary regular, but only when there is not much rain. Conduct it as needed. On average, 5-6 buckets of water are poured into the tree trunk circle (but this is the norm for an adult tree).
- In the first 2-3 years after planting, it is not necessary to feed Chokoladnitsa cherry trees. And only 3-4 years worth starting to make mineral and organic matter. It is important to note that organics, like manure, are added once every 3 years in the fall, and minerals are usually added every year in spring.
- Regularly - 5-6 times a season a tree is examined for the presence of diseases, pests. This is due to the instability of the variety to various fungal and infectious diseases. When a problem is detected, the foci of inflammation are removed and burned, and the wood is treated with appropriate preparations.
Preparation of the tree for the winter should be thorough, the only way it will quickly "move away" from the cold in spring and immediately start growing and blooming. So, what manipulations should be carried out before frosts?
- Crop. All extra branches are removed from the tree, but mainly dried ones that will no longer benefit the cherry.
- Mulching. Cherry Chocolate for the winter is usually mulched on 10-15 cm peat. Instead of peat, you can use agrofibre. The earth is covered with cardboard or straw, and agrofiber is lined on them, but only insulated.
- Protection against rodents means covering the trunk of a tree with any suitable material, for example, the same agrofibre, or insulation. But it is desirable to treat the bark before this with some rodent remedy.
Harvesting and processing
It is possible to use the harvest of Chocolate Chocolate cherries for fresh consumption, freezing, cooking various dishes (desserts), and preserving.
Harvesting is carried out as it ripens. It is important to ensure that the berries are not overripe. In the trees, they keep well, without problems, do not fall off, they can only begin to rot. And due to the fact that the berry itself is dark, during the collection you can not notice the bad cherries, so before direct processing it is worth sorting them out.
It is possible to use the harvest of Chocolate Chocolate cherries in different ways: for fresh consumption, freezing, cooking various dishes (desserts), and preserving. For the winter, you can close delicious compotes, jams and jams made from berries. In banks, the berry does not fall apart, the shape holds, the taste is not lost and does not change.