Aphid is a small pest, up to 1.5 mm in length, which provokes the death of any plant on which it appears. Thanks to the finest proboscis - the stylus, which easily penetrates the stems and leaves of plants, it feeds on their juices. Aphids on cucumbers are just as dangerous as any other pest or disease. Therefore, at the first signs of its occurrence, it is necessary to take drastic measures. The article will describe how to deal with aphids on cucumbers, what methods and means for this use.
What hurts aphid cucumbers?
Oddly enough, cucumbers quite calmly endure the attack of aphids, in any case, if it is a small colony. Of course, this will affect the leaves, but with abundant watering, care, the pest will not cause serious harm to the crop. By itself, aphid leads to the fact that the leaves of the plant become thinner, fall down, wither. But a large colony of aphids can lead to the death of a sprout in a matter of days.
Aphid striking cucumbers
But a more serious problem are the infections and infections that aphid suffers. While eating a plant, this pest can infect it with some kind of disease. And now this problem can be difficult to cope with.
There are many varieties of aphids, but only a small proportion of these species “justify” on cucumbers. Namely: currant-lettuce (yellow or yellow-green), green peach (light or dark green), potato (yellow or pink) and melon (dark green or black).
What specialized means to use?Read also these articles.
- Description of the variety of cabbage Rinda, planting and care in the open field
- Variety Pears Just Maria
- How to plant and care for dill
- Rabbit Lop-eared Sheep
The easiest way to get rid of aphids on cucumbers - use specialized tools, which, of course, contain chemistry. Yes, it can be harmful to the plant, but if you carry out the procedure in certain periods (when there are no flowers and ovaries yet), then there will be no harm to the resulting product. If the flowers and ovaries have already appeared, you can apply biological products that are safe for plants, fruits and, accordingly, humans.
Specialized aphid remedies on cucumbers
- "Commander" - A quality insecticide that can effectively cope with aphids on cucumbers. Available in concentrates that need to be dissolved in water, has a systemic effect.
- "Corado" - a modern tool that can cope with aphids on cucumbers in one application! Valid for 3-4 weeks.
- "Aktara" - a strong substance that destroys aphids, and then settles in the plant for the next 3 weeks (therefore, treatment can be carried out 1 month before the appearance of the ovaries no later than). If the aphid returns during this time, it is poisoned by the sap of the plant, which still contains the substance.
- "Intavir" First of all it is recommended to fight black (melon) aphids on cucumbers. Available in water soluble tablets.
- "Spark" not only destroys the pest, but also enriches the plant with potassium, which contains in its composition.
- Kinmiks is a synthetic pyrethroid. It is completely safe for the environment, does not harm the bees, animals. It is recommended to use it in the period of early spring when the pest appears and is actively developing.
- "Bitoxibacillin" fights aphids and some other pests. Available in powder that must be dissolved in water before use. It is considered quite safe for animals, bees and humans, so it can be used even during flowering.
- "Actofit" also considered harmless to humans. He effectively copes with his task, though for this you need to strictly observe the dosage of the drug!
In addition, aphids on cucumbers can completely disappear when using drugs "Arrivo", "Detsis", "Carbaril", "Diazinon", as well as biological means "Fitoverm" and "Strela".
And yet, whatever the tool would be chosen, the chance for its 100% action is not great. The reason is that aphids quickly adapt to different chemicals, just like the Colorado potato beetle, ants, and similar pests. That is why the Internet can find a lot of negative and positive reviews about the same tools. So if one tool did not help, you need to use another. With this method of trial and error, the gardener will be able to find the perfect aphid preparation for cucumbers.
How to deal with aphids on cucumbers folk remedies?
Immediately it should be noted that the fight against aphids by national methods is effective, but also long. You should not expect the insect to disappear the next day after processing by any means. These are not chemicals that literally poison in minutes, block access of oxygen, lead to paralysis. For folk methods to really work, they need to be applied systematically for a long time — one or two times is not enough here.
Folk remedies to combat aphids on cucumbers
- Neem oil or insecticidal soap is added to ordinary water. After mixing, the water is poured into the sprayer and the affected areas are treated with it. This method removes aphids from the plant, but does not kill it, so the treatment must be carried out repeatedly with a break of 3-7 days (as soon as it is noted that the aphid has returned to cucumbers).
- The infusion of tomato tops or potatoes, garlic, celandine, dandelion is one of the most accessible recipes of the folk remedy to combat aphids. Approximately 300 grams of one of these plants should be poured with 12 liters of boiling water. After settling the mixture for 2 days, it is filtered and the cucumbers are sprayed with the resulting liquid.
- For 1 bucket of water, take 2 tablespoons of ash (preferably it should be ground to dust, without large lumps), and a bar of laundry soap. Immediately after the ingredients are mixed and the soap has dissolved, the mixture can be poured into a container and sprayed on the cucumbers.
- The sulfur checker is a very effective method that destroys not only aphids, but also fungal infections, but there are a few nuances. First you need to buy it, and this is not available to everyone. It is used mostly in greenhouses, since when the wind is outside, all the gas will pass by the plant. And finally - this method can be used only in the fall, when the entire crop has been harvested.
When treating a plant with any of the suggested folk remedies, it is necessary to direct the pressure of the solution directly onto the aphids that live on cucumbers (leaves, stems), and not on top of the plants. Moreover, separate attention should be paid to the inner side of the leaves, since it is there that most of the pests "live".
It is important to note that if some plant is severely affected by aphids, it is advisable to completely pry, remove from the site and burn outside. The fact is that large colonies are strong, they quickly recover and move to neighboring cultures, so you can not take risks.
What methods of prevention to use?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Clover Honey
- Strawberry variety Lord
- Chestnut honey and its properties
- Description and characteristics of the Kholmogory breed geese
To aphid on cucumbers never appeared, it is necessary to carry out preventive measures.
Aphid prevention methods
- Aphid "travels" through the garden through weeds. Removal of any weeds should be timely. It is not worth to postpone the procedure.
- Infection with aphids often occurs through seeds, including those that the gardener plants on the site independently. Therefore, planting material for planting should choose a good store, treated for pests and diseases. If these are seeds that were collected personally, then before planting they should be soaked in a solution of potassium permanganate for 20-40 minutes.
- Ladybugs, wasps, zlatoglazki feed on lice, so it’s not worth killing them in their own garden, they can really save the crop of cucumbers.
- Nitrogen fertilizer, or rather nitrogen itself, contributes to the reproduction of aphids, which means that fertilizer containing its cucumbers is laid in a small amount and only until the beginning of summer.
- If there is a greenhouse in the garden, in the autumn after the harvest, full-scale harvesting should be carried out there, as well as cleaning and processing with special aphids. Once in 4 years it is also necessary to change the top layer (4-5 cm) of soil in greenhouses and greenhouses.
- Every autumn, after a full harvest and plot, it is worth treating the bushes on it with folk substances from aphids. It is on shrubs aphid can survive severe frosts. If you treat them in the fall, and then also in early spring, the pests most likely will not be able to survive.