Barley belongs to the family - Cereal. It may be one-year, two-year or multi-year depending on the variety. It has been grown for food, technical, and feed purposes since ancient times. This culture is one of the most ancient, if not the oldest cultivated by man. Barley varieties have different quality characteristics, planting dates, yield. Below is a description of the most common varieties and characteristics of the grain.
What are the features of spring and winter varieties?
Barley is spring and winter, except for planting dates, each species has its own quality features that you should know about before planting a crop.
Winter barley enjoys unprecedented demand lately, as the crop yields a little earlier than the spring “brother”. This allows you to quickly fill the vacated area with another crop and multiply the resulting crop. In addition, he rarely suffers from fuses. Among the disadvantages is to provide low frost resistance. Severe frosts can completely destroy the crop, so gardeners come up with various methods to protect crops in the winter.
Biopreparations application scheme
Spring barley is an important crop. It is mainly used to obtain pearl barley and barley porridge. It contains a lot of protein and fiber, which is why it is recommended for consumption and cultivation. It refers to early crops, therefore, sow it in time, otherwise you can lose a significant part of the crop. Good against pests.
In addition, barley can be multi-row (ordinary), double-rowed and intermediate. In most regions of the world, it is common and double rowed barley that is cultivated. These subspecies are fertile and distinguished by high quality indicators.
What are the varieties of spring barley?Read also these articles.
- Broiler Guinea Fowl
- Planting onions before winter
- Zucchini Iskander F1
- Carrots Canada F1 - description and characteristics of the variety
There are more than 70 varieties of spring barley, which is grown in different climatic zones.
- "Viscount" ripens in 73-127 days, depending on the climate. It has an even and hollow stem, the mass of one grain is 0.042-0.054 g, the amount of protein is 11-13% ,. Refers to the feed subspecies, is launched for the manufacture of animal feed, mixtures for livestock. However, under favorable conditions, it can produce high-quality grain, suitable, for example, for brewing. Potential yield of 70 c / ha.
- "Vakula" Resistant to changes in location and climate. The grain mass is 0.046-0.052 g. With frequent rains and irrigations, it can increase to 0.060 g. There is little protein in the composition, low filminess. Productivity 50-90 c / ha. It is not recommended to thicken the crops - this will reduce the yield.
Varieties of spring barley
- Helios with abundant and timely watering gives a good, high-quality crop. Vegetation period is 90-93 days. The mass of the obtained grain is 0.048-0.050 g. The yield is 89 c / ha.
- "Duncan" Canadian barley variety. It has a strong, tall stalk, resistant to laying and will stand. Grain mass 0,049g on average. Productivity - 80 kg / ha. The seeding rate is 2-2.2 million seeds per hectare. Not recommended to thicken.
- "Priazovsky 9" - one of the best varieties of spring barley. It is resistant to drought, powdery mildew, pests, dwarf rust. Ripens in 80-82 days. Stem tight, smooth, does not run. The yield is low - 42-63 c / ha, but it pays off completely with the quality of the product. The mass of each grain is 0.045-0.055 g.
This category also includes: "Krasnoufimsky", "Donetsk 4", "Lofant", "Zeus", "Margaret", "Omsky 89", "Povolzhsky 65", "Marni", "Adapt".
Winter barley varieties
The optimal time for planting a winter species is September, but depending on the variety of barley and the region, the dates can vary considerably. In terms of soil or sowing site, it is not exacting, serious, expensive, high-quality mixtures are needed only in the case of cultivation of large fields, and not small garden plantations.
- "Worthy" has a yield of 60 centners per hectare, the maximum fees reached 96.3 centners per hectare. Vegetation period 266-273 days. It grows a little less than a meter, about 83-86 cm. The grain mass is 0.043 g, it contains up to 61% starch and up to 12.6% protein. Winter hardiness is average, there is resistance to drought and shattering.
Winter barley varieties
- "Selena Star" grows up to 98 cm in height, matures in 277-284 days. The weight of the grain is 0.045-0.047 g, the protein content is 10.9-11.9%. The maximum yield of 77.8 c / ha. This barley variety not afraid of brown rust, resistant to lodging and shattering, winter resistance is average.
- "Borisfen" grows to a meter tall. The weight of one grain is 0.042-0.043 g with a protein content of 11-12.5%. Ripens in 280-288 days. There is resistance to lodging, drought and shattering. Productivity is 60-87 c / ha.
- "Worker" has an average yield of 59-60 c / ha. The weight of one grain is 0.043-0.044 g with a content of 59% starch and 11.8% crude protein. Ripens in 279-288 days, plant height - 91-98 cm, the shoots are almost flat.
This list also includes: "Diet", "Fantastic", "Aborigine", "Cinderella", "Ark", "Frost".
What grades are used for brewing?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Pushkin breed of chickens
- How to get rid of rats in the hen house?
- Phalaenopsis Orchid
- Automatic egg incubator
There is a certain category of barley, which is used primarily for the manufacture of beer. It is important to note that for home-made products, and not only in large-scale production, barley is recommended to be grown independently, and not to buy ready-made. This allows you to get a healthy, full-fledged, nutritious cereal, and be sure that the kind is exactly what was required.
Varieties of barley for brewing beer are quite diverse. Of the most common in the world should be called: "Gladys", "Avalon", "Consit", "Philadelphia", "Ronnie", "Quench", "Scarlett", "Kangoo", "Marnie", "Corserto", "Jay Bi Flave, "Seishine."